In this article, you will learn how to dismantle and clean the FN SCAR 17S, one of the most popular firearms on the market. We will provide you with step-by-step instructions and a helpful video to guide you through the process. Additionally, we will provide a brief historical overview of the FN SCAR 17S to give you some context about this impressive firearm. By the end of this article, you will have the knowledge and tools to properly maintain and clean your FN SCAR 17S.
This image is property of i.ytimg.com.
Overview of the FN SCAR 17S
The FN SCAR 17S is a popular semi-automatic rifle that is renowned for its reliability and versatility. It is a civilian variant of the FN SCAR-H, which was originally designed for the U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). The SCAR 17S is chambered in the hard-hitting .308 Winchester cartridge, making it suitable for various applications such as hunting, competition shooting, and self-defense.
Design and Features
The FN SCAR 17S features a modular design that allows for easy customization and adaptability to different mission requirements. It has a gas-operated, short-stroke piston system that enhances reliability and reduces recoil. The rifle also incorporates ambidextrous controls, allowing for ease of use for both right-handed and left-handed shooters.
One notable feature of the FN SCAR 17S is its free-floating barrel, which contributes to increased accuracy and improved barrel harmonics. The barrel is also cold hammer-forged, resulting in exceptional durability and longevity. The rifle is equipped with a folding stock that can be adjusted for length of pull, ensuring a comfortable shooting experience for shooters of different sizes.
Performance and Specifications
The FN SCAR 17S has a maximum effective range of around 800 meters, making it suitable for engaging targets at extended distances. It has a magazine capacity of 20 rounds, allowing for sustained fire without the need for frequent reloads. The rifle features a Picatinny rail system, which facilitates the attachment of various accessories such as optics, lights, and foregrips.
With regards to accuracy, the FN SCAR 17S is known for its impressive performance. It has a crisp trigger that aids in achieving accurate shots, and the rifle’s overall ergonomics promote a stable shooting platform. The recoil management of the SCAR 17S is excellent, thanks to its effective muzzle brake and adjustable gas system.
The FN SCAR 17S has its roots in the FN SCAR program, which was initiated in the early 2000s as part of the United States Special Operations Command’s effort to find a modular rifle system to replace the aging M4 carbine. The SCAR program aimed to develop a rifle that would provide superior performance, reliability, and versatility to meet the demanding requirements of special operations forces.
Although the FN SCAR did not ultimately replace the M4 carbine in U.S. military service, it gained popularity among civilian shooters due to its high-quality construction and exceptional performance. The availability of the semi-automatic SCAR 17S variant allowed civilian gun enthusiasts to own and enjoy a rifle that closely resembles its military counterpart.
Tools and Equipment Needed
Before you begin disassembling and cleaning your FN SCAR 17S, it is important to gather the necessary tools and equipment to ensure a smooth and efficient process.
Disassembly and Cleaning Kit
To properly disassemble and clean your FN SCAR 17S, you will need a disassembly and cleaning kit specific to the rifle. This kit typically includes tools such as punch sets, brushes, and cleaning rods, which are essential for removing and cleaning various components of the firearm.
Cleaning Solvents and Lubricants
Cleaning solvents and lubricants are crucial for maintaining the proper functioning of your FN SCAR 17S. Ensure that you have appropriate solvents for removing carbon buildup and fouling, as well as lubricants for reducing friction and preventing rust. It is advisable to use products specifically designed for firearms to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
Before you handle your FN SCAR 17S, it is essential to prioritize safety and take the necessary precautions to prevent accidents or injuries.
Proper Handling of Firearms
Always treat firearms with the utmost respect and adhere to safe handling practices. Keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Be aware of your surroundings and ensure that you have a suitable backstop when handling or test firing your FN SCAR 17S.
Use of Personal Protective Equipment
When disassembling and cleaning your FN SCAR 17S, it is advisable to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect yourself from any potential hazards. Eye protection, such as safety glasses or goggles, should be worn to shield your eyes from any debris or cleaning chemicals. Additionally, disposable gloves can be used to prevent contact with solvents or lubricants that may irritate the skin.
Properly disassembling your FN SCAR 17S is the first step in the cleaning process. Follow these steps to field strip your rifle:
Steps to Field Strip the FN SCAR 17S
- Ensure that the firearm is unloaded by removing the magazine and visually inspecting the chamber.
- Move the safety selector switch to the safe position.
- Push the takedown pin located above the magazine well from the right side of the rifle, allowing the upper receiver to pivot forward.
- Pull the charging handle to the rear and remove the bolt carrier group from the upper receiver.
- Push the rear takedown pin at the rear of the lower receiver, allowing it to pivot open.
- Separate the upper and lower receivers.
Removing Upper Receiver
To clean the upper receiver of your FN SCAR 17S, follow these steps:
- Place the upper receiver, bolt carrier group, and charging handle on a clean work surface.
- Use a punch or a suitable tool to push out the firing pin retaining pin located at the rear of the bolt carrier group.
- Remove the firing pin, firing pin spring, and firing pin retaining pin from the bolt carrier.
- Push the bolt out from the rear of the bolt carrier.
- Remove the extractor pin and the extractor from the bolt.
- Clean all the components using an appropriate solvent and brush, ensuring that carbon buildup and fouling are removed.
Taking Apart the Lower Receiver
To clean the lower receiver of your FN SCAR 17S, follow these steps:
- Place the lower receiver on a clean work surface.
- Remove the pistol grip by removing the screw that secures it to the lower receiver.
- Clean the pistol grip and trigger group using an appropriate solvent and brush, ensuring that all dirt and debris are removed.
- Inspect the trigger group for any wear or damage and replace any worn or damaged parts if necessary.
This image is property of i.ytimg.com.
Cleaning the Components
Once you have disassembled the FN SCAR 17S, it is time to clean the individual components to maintain their optimal performance.
Cleaning the Bolt Carrier Group
To clean the bolt carrier group of your FN SCAR 17S, follow these steps:
- Use an appropriate solvent and brush to remove any carbon buildup and fouling from the bolt carrier group.
- Pay close attention to the gas rings on the bolt, ensuring that they are clean and free from debris.
- Apply a light coat of lubricant to the bolt carrier group, paying particular attention to the contact points and moving parts.
Cleaning the Barrel and Receiver
To clean the barrel and receiver of your FN SCAR 17S, follow these steps:
- Attach a bore brush to a cleaning rod, and apply an appropriate solvent to the brush.
- Insert the cleaning rod into the barrel, and vigorously brush the bore to remove any fouling and debris.
- Use cleaning patches soaked in solvent to further clean the bore until they come out clean.
- Using a clean patch, apply a small amount of lubricant to the patch and run it through the bore to provide a protective coating.
- Wipe down the receiver with a clean cloth, ensuring that all dirt and debris are removed.
Cleaning the Trigger Group
To clean the trigger group of your FN SCAR 17S, follow these steps:
- Use an appropriate solvent and brush to clean the trigger group, paying attention to all moving parts and contact points.
- Remove any excess solvent and ensure that the trigger group is dry before applying lubricant.
- Apply a light coat of lubricant to the trigger group, focusing on the points of friction and moving parts.
Maintenance and Inspection
Regular maintenance and inspection are crucial for keeping your FN SCAR 17S in optimal condition. Follow these guidelines to ensure that your rifle performs reliably.
Inspecting and Replacing Parts
Regularly inspect your FN SCAR 17S for any signs of wear or damage. Pay close attention to the bolt, gas rings, and firing pin, as these components can exhibit wear over time. Replace any worn or damaged parts to maintain optimal performance and reliability.
Lubrication and Rust Prevention
Proper lubrication is vital to the smooth functioning of your FN SCAR 17S. Ensure that all moving parts and contact surfaces are adequately lubricated using a suitable lubricant. Additionally, take measures to prevent rust by applying a thin coat of rust preventive oil to the external surfaces of the rifle, particularly in humid or corrosive environments.
This image is property of i.ytimg.com.
After cleaning and inspecting the individual components of your FN SCAR 17S, it is time to reassemble the rifle.
Reassembling the Lower Receiver
To reassemble the lower receiver of your FN SCAR 17S, follow these steps:
- Place the trigger group in the lower receiver, ensuring that it is correctly aligned.
- Secure the trigger group by reinstalling the pistol grip using the screw removed earlier.
Mounting the Upper Receiver
To mount the upper receiver of your FN SCAR 17S, follow these steps:
- Align the front and rear takedown pins of the upper and lower receivers.
- Push in the rear takedown pin until it clicks into place, securing the upper and lower receivers together.
- Pivot the upper receiver back into the closed position, ensuring that it is fully seated and aligned with the lower receiver.
To complete the assembly of your FN SCAR 17S, follow these steps:
- Insert the bolt carrier group into the upper receiver, ensuring that it is correctly aligned.
- Pull the charging handle fully to the rear to ensure that the bolt is correctly seated.
- Push the charging handle forward, allowing it to return to its closed position.
Test Firing and Function Check
After reassembling your FN SCAR 17S, it is crucial to perform a function check and test fire the rifle to ensure proper functionality.
Ensuring Proper Functionality
Perform a function check by verifying that all controls (safety selector, bolt catch, magazine release) are operating smoothly and properly. Cycle the action of the firearm multiple times to ensure that it is functioning as expected.
Test Firing the FN SCAR 17S
When test firing your FN SCAR 17S, ensure that you follow all local laws and regulations regarding firearm use. Do so only in a designated and safe shooting area, adhering to all applicable safety precautions and proper range etiquette. Familiarize yourself with the rifle’s operation and controls before firing, and always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.
This image is property of i.ytimg.com.
Tips and Best Practices
To ensure the longevity of your FN SCAR 17S and maintain its optimal performance, consider the following tips and implement best practices:
Proper Storage and Transport
When not in use, store your FN SCAR 17S in a secure and locked container, away from unauthorized access. Ensure that the firearm is unloaded and the chamber is empty. When transporting the rifle, abide by all applicable laws and regulations, ensuring that it is securely stored and inaccessible to unauthorized individuals.
Regular Maintenance Schedule
Establish a regular maintenance schedule for your FN SCAR 17S to ensure that it remains in top working condition. Consider cleaning and inspecting the rifle after each use, or at least every few range sessions. Regularly lubricate the moving parts and ensure that all contact surfaces are adequately protected against rust and corrosion.
Proper maintenance and cleaning of the FN SCAR 17S are essential for preserving its performance, reliability, and longevity. By following the outlined steps and adhering to safety precautions, you can ensure that your FN SCAR 17S remains in top condition and provides years of enjoyment. Remember, always prioritize safety and handle firearms responsibly to ensure a safe and enjoyable shooting experience.